St. Mary's Manor
- Year Closed: 2006
Religious, non-medical health care institution.
That's how St. Mary's Manor is enthusiastically described on a health care services fact sheet. The six-storey building was for sale at the time of these photos (2006) for the discount price of $1.8 million.
Prior to 1967, the building was Mount St. Mary's Hospital. When the hospital was relocated to Lewiston, NY, the building was converted into a nursing home for people who were chronically ill. St. Mary's Manor accommodated almost 120 people.
- View photo with title: Green Hallway
- View photo with title: Empty Bed
- View photo with title: Treatment Room
- View photo with title: Worship
- View photo with title: Party Window
- View photo with title: Room 229
- View photo with title: Pink Green and Blue
- View photo with title: Blue Hallway
- View photo with title: Exterior
Architecturally, it was similar to an apartment building renovated for institutional use.
Translation: It was sort of plain and boring. Aside from a small church and chapel housed on the 3rd and 4th floors, most rooms were identical.
Although I can't determine an exact date, it looks like the building was closed sometime between 2002 and 2006. A reference to an employee union contract in 2002 was found, as well as reference to an arson attempt in 2006.
The arson attempt succeeded in causing considerable damage to the floors and walls of the ground floor. When these photos were taken, the smell of smoke was still strong in the air. Luckily the damage — and smell — was confined to the ground floor.
- View gallery with title: Whitby Psychiatric Facility - Interior photos of a 1913 mental health facility in Whitby, Ontario. It's a bonanza of peeling paint and general decay.
- View gallery with title: Bethlehem Steel North Office - Photos of Bethlehem Steel's heavily-decaying office building, built in 1901. Lots of decay, equipment, artifacts and a chemist's lab.
- View gallery with title: Crystal Ballroom - Interior photos of a luxurious 1920s social ballroom, abandoned since the late 1950s.