The central corridor down the main turbine generator hall of the power station is lined with blue generator heads (the alternators) on the left, and a bank of equipment surrounded in white brick (the bus bar) on the right.

Blue Generator Heads

We're standing in the middle of the main floor of the Power House. On the left are the alternators where the inside would be spinning at 250 RPM. On the right are the bus breakers, where the electricity being generated gets distributed outside of the Power House to the electrical grid.

When the station was originally constructed, there was a mezzanine level above the bus breakers and this was where everything was controlled from. Later, this was removed and a new control room was built sometime after 1910 on the second floor.1

Archival photo from 1910 showing the operating mezzanine with the station controls, above the bus breakers.
Operating mezzanine: The station was controlled from the mezzanine level, just above the bus breakers and to the left of the generators. This archival photo from 1910 shows the mezzanine platform in place. At some point after this, the platform was removed and station operations were relocated to a new control room.
  1. Ball, N. R. (2005). The Canadian Niagara Power Company Story. Erin, Ont.: Boston Mills Press in association with FortisOntario.