For almost 70 years, these 5 skylit buildings provided both maintenance and storage for Toronto's streetcars. Built between 1913 and 1921, they employed hundreds of workers. The site was decommissioned in 1985 and sat vacant, slowly decaying until an adaptive reuse plan began in 2004.
The Wychwood Barns site is an example of a succesful urban redevelopment project. In a few short years, a derelict brownfield site has been repurposed as an arts and culture centre which opened in 2008. This reuse included artist live/work spaces as well as a local community food centre.