Crumbling Wall

March 26, 2006

Bethlehem Steel's administration building (in Lackawanna/Buffalo, New York) has some serious problems with decay. That's what makes it interesting.

In this case the decay lets us see each layer of a wall assembly: tile brick, mortar, plaster, and steel channels for the wallboard (not shown).

Update Apr 17 2006: A gallery of photos from this location — the Bethlehem Steel North Office — are now online.

k
r
B
K
q

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:52 am

Bad craftsmanship, I tell you!!

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:10 am

my girlfriend and i checked this place out yesterday. it was a bit too rotted for me - i struggled to get through two rolls. but we did run into a port authority maintenance worker in the entranceway - he was cool with us being there and even came down into the basement with us. he was a boiler maker at bethlehem right until the end. and then i left my 50mm hassey lens sitting on a windowsil and had to drive all the way back this morning to pick it up. sigh. did you happen to lose a 52mm lenscap? i found one on the second floor.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:07 pm

greetz from holland
SPION

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Excellent use of the rule of thirds. :-)
The plaster crackline seems to chart the fate of the company.
Great meeting you today, Kendall.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:43 pm

What really grabs my attention is the red brick. I have never seen such as this before. The decomposition of this structure promises to be very interesting indeed.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Great symetry and lighting on this one Kendall.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:43 am

Nice one Kendall....reminds me of a Mondrian painting....great texture.
Phil

chickadee
Mar 27, 2006 at 9:22 am

love the paint!! killer shot!

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:24 pm

This is one of my favorites in awhile (I wonder how often I say that). very graphic-design-y.

Apr 05, 2006 at 10:25 am

I'm so happy I found your p'blog today. The work you present is very original. I love your strict compostions. This one works very well, and the tones are great. Regards, Brent

Zee
Apr 06, 2006 at 1:12 pm

Wow, great shot. I absolutely love the degeneration of the wall so that you can see the paint on one side of the photo and the brick/tile core on the other. Fantastic colors, textures, lines...amazing. I have to say this is one of my favorite shots in quite a while.

The largest print size for this image is about 22×14″ (55×35 cm).

The largest resolution available for this image is 3363px × 2243px