The Treatment Room

February 10, 2006

This room comes from St. Mary's Manor. It may not look like a treatment room, but the door to this small cubbyhole was labelled as such. I can't imagine they could treat much in this small space. Maybe claustrophobia...

Upcoming group show: Diane Purdie and I have 20 odd pieces on display (photographs & paintings/collage) at the Newmarket Theatre for the next month and a half. I think we're tentatively naming the show 'Memories from the Day Shift' — yeah, it's all industrial-related goodness. If you're not attending a performance at the theatre, you can stop by between 1 and 5:30 pm Mon-Fri, and between Noon and 4pm on Saturdays. If you're in the area, have a look! I've mostly got Bethlehem Steel photos on display as well as some older shots.

And, here's a map to the theatre.

The In Transit exhibition at the Toronto Free Gallery is still up and running (a little closer to home for you Toronto folk).

F
D
Y
F
A
Z

Rita
Feb 10, 2006 at 3:20 am

I think I am getting claustrophobic just looking at this photo! Really small! I like the colours.

Ana
Feb 10, 2006 at 3:30 am

......laughing at your commentary. It's for sure not a padded cell.

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:46 am

The the darkness of this shot and the contrast between the green and the red....cool.
Phil

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:01 am

Nice compsition and colors!

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:48 am

Its a prayer closet...when up against a brick wall drop to your knees in prayer. I'm certain many of the sisters used it frequently. Love the lighting of this shot highlighting the green cement blocks.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:01 am

I got my own photoblog up and running (ConcreteAndCoffee.com) and I gave you a shout-out on the most recent post. Thanks for the inspiration! And, nice picture today. Thats a nice view from that window.

teresa
Feb 10, 2006 at 5:32 pm

That is such a beautiful picture.

Art
Feb 11, 2006 at 10:14 am

I love the perspective of the concrete brick walls inside. The darkly lighted green color inside contrasted by the natural lite red brick outside is great. Love the photo.

Nicole
Feb 11, 2006 at 1:16 pm

how could you possibly get any kind of treatment in this room. Great Pic!

Don Phillips
Feb 12, 2006 at 5:15 am

Most compelling shot.

Jenelle
Feb 12, 2006 at 10:35 pm

I love the DOF, especially the left wall: the lighting moves the eye (quickly) to the window of escape...and a brick wall.
"No Way Out."

Emily
Feb 14, 2006 at 5:48 pm

The perspective and colours are so stark, simple and beautiful, wonderfully done. And the fact that the window, the one redeeming quality of this well conveyed claustraphobic cell, opens onto a view of an empty brick wall only adds to the inherent bleakness of the image. My eye keeps returning to the latch on the window frame. The print is entirely linear save that one feature. Lovely!

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:29 am

Nice lines and combo of colours, maybe needs a little more space under the window.

The largest print size for this image is about 21×14″ (53×35 cm).

The largest resolution available for this image is 3234px × 2156px