Froggy with Clouds

June 30, 2004

This was not photographed recently.. Actually, it was shot almost two years ago in Algonquin Park, and I'm posting it for two reasons.

The first, is that it was one of the first images I thought of in response to this week's PhotoFriday challenge (clouds). I realize the 'clouds' bit is rather trivial in this image, but I've always liked this image. Besides, I'd prefer to avoid the literal 'look, clouds!' response to the theme and rather incorporate it into a larger image. Whether that's post-rationalization or not (second-nature to architects and any designer-by-education I suppose), I'm sticking to it.

The second is that Jenn and are are heading up to the cottage in a day or so and this photo always reminds me of the cottage. This will be our first trip up this year so hopefully it's still standing — anyone who has seen Jenn's cottage will understand :).

(While the intent of this site is to force (err.. 'persuade') me to use the camera more frequently, I figure it's ok now and then to pull something out of the archives. Incidentally this marks the first time I've done that since the site began...)

W
e
k
S
Z

Jun 30, 2004 at 5:57 am

I'm very impressed with this shot. The edge of the pond (puddle?) makes for a stellar border, and the fact that only a portion of it is damp almost adds depth to the ledge. The little ripple around the frog's head is great - with the rest of the water undisturbed it looks like the frog is the first thing to pop up in ages. The surface of the water looks almost a little oily. I know I'm not really qualified to judge, but I do find the little bright patch in the upper right to be a tad distracting. Great shot though. If its an archive shot, what camera did you use?

Adam
Jun 30, 2004 at 7:22 am

I agree with Chris. I would feel completely justified in "smoothing" things out by retouching some of the white spots so that they look less like dust on a photo. More importantly it would smooth out the water as I really like the smooth to rough transition from right to left. I think, if you're going to title it, calling it simply "coulds" draws the viewer's attention to the reflection - which is fascinating but not obvious at first glance. (To me at least.) Very enjoyable composition.

Adam

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:34 am

I love how at first I had no idea what it was and then after I read the paragraph I could suddenly see the frog's body and the rock he was standing on. And the "muddy" water suddenly became a reflection of a cloud and the water was crystal clear.

Oh and have fun cottage-going this weekend. I'm going up too -- love the air up there.

kendall
Jun 30, 2004 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for all the comments! This was also shot with my Canon G2, a few months after I bought it. I really like the graphic quality of the image - I always read it as a composition of two rectangles (the rock) and a circle (the frog). I was lucky to get it - the frog popped up - I shot the photo - and then a few seconds later froggy disappeared.

Anyways, I'm off to the cottage, so photos will have to wait for a few days!

bob
Jul 03, 2004 at 11:05 am

Really great image -- I'm a big fan of water shots -- and frogs! -- Hope you don't mind -- but I linked you on my site... really nice stuff!

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Oh Gosh, I love this shot!!!! I'm a nature freak anyway, but this is just Awesome. The blue of the water is sooo pretty & its so cool the way you can see the little frogs body right down to the webbing of its little toes:).

The largest print size for this image is about 15×11″ (38×27 cm).

The largest resolution available for this image is 2272px × 1704px